Sunday, October 17, 2010

Shipyard's Smashed Pumpkin mixed with Guinness Extra Stout


As mentioned in my previous post reviewing the Smuttynose Pumpkin Ale, Shipyard's Smashed Pumpkin Ale is one of my absolute favorites of the fall seasonal brews. A 22-ounce bomber will set you back about $6, but the taste is well worth the investment. Shipyard has managed to do what no other brewery can; brew a pumpkin beer that actually tastes like pumpkin and not just pumpkin pie spice. Sure, the cinnamon, clove, and nutmeg are present, but they are all bound by a sort of meaty-savory pumpkin undercurrent that other pumpkin ales lack. The hefty 9% ABV is very well masked by the complex flavors and textures.

The back of the bottle suggests that the consumer "try adding a little Shipyard Blue Fin Stout to Smashed Pumpkin for a fall warmer." What a novel idea! During my recent trip to Boston, I was tantalized by the availability of Cape Ann Brewing Company Fisherman's Pumpkin Stout. On a solo trip to the bar to watch the Padres bend over and give up a chance at post-season glory, I eagerly ordered a pint of the pumpkin stout. Just as the San Diego Dads disappointed, so did the beer. It was a decent stout, but there was no sign of anything having to do with pumpkins or fall or allspice. The resulting feeling of deception lead me to drink much more than one man should have ever consumed in a 3-hour window.

Unfortunately, Shipyard's Blue Fin Stout is not available in California. After consulting another amateur beer connoisseur with easy access to the stout, I decided that Guinness would provide the most suitable replacement. I love stouts, but I've never been fond of Guinness. I pleaded with my insider source to recommend a delicious chocolate or oatmeal microbrewed stout, but he insisted that a lighter dry stout would be more true to the Blue Fin taste. So, I dropped an additional $4 on a 22-ounce bottle of Guinness Extra Stout and waited for the 100-degree temperatures to subside.

The result of mixing 3 parts pumpkin ale to 1 part stout is delicious. The Guinness completely hides any lingering hint that you might be drinking a 9% ABV brew. The spice and pumpkin taste of the Shipyard ale are somehow accentuated, not dulled by adding in the stout. I'm not sure if I like the "fall warmer" any better than the straight Smashed Pumpkin Ale, but it's damn good nonetheless. I'd like to try this again with a slightly more chocolaty, less objectionable stout.

No comments:

Post a Comment