Tuesday, November 16, 2010

St Sebastiaan Golden Ale


Ok, I'll admit it. I bought this beer mainly because of the attractive limited edition silk-screened bottle and artsy booklet that was attached. I don't dislike Belgian style ales, but I rarely drink them aside from a Blue Moon at the burger place in Davis every now and then. So, doling out $12 for a 16.9 ounce bottle of St Sebastiaan's Golden Ale was, essentially, an impulse buy.

Like most Belgian ales, this one smells like peaches and tastes "like potpourri, but in a good way," according to my girlfriend. The typical coriander and citrus hit heavy with a clove-laced floral assault. My initial thought was that it tasted like a perfumey cleaning product, but the harshness fades and the complex flavor array lingers pleasantly and easily hides the 7.6% ABV. It's a bit too musky and heavily spiced for my liking, but St Sebastiaan's Golden Ale wouldn't be bad if it were $8 a pint cheaper.

The bottle is really pretty, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment