Monday, December 27, 2010

North Coast Brother Thelonious Belgian Style Abbey Ale


I drink my Brother Thelonious Straight, No Chaser. Ugh, that's a bad joke that maybe only Ken Burns or my University of Iowa History of Jazz professor would chuckle at.

First, a big thank you to my friend Mark for getting me this 25.4 ounce bottle as a Christmas gift. Second, major point deduction for being the most difficult bottle of beer to open in the world. I spent a good 4 minutes prying at the cork with a corkscrew inserted before I was able to liberate the sweet libation. Third, I spilled a little bit of Brother Thelonious on my cat. He seemed to pretend that he didn't have beer all over his back at first, then proceeded to take great joy in licking it off. If Sig were writing this review, he would say something like "rrow yummy prrr."

Brother Thelonious is, apparently, one offering in the American Artisan Series. As far as I can tell, though, the only other offering is Le Merle Belgian Style Farmhouse Ale also brewed by North Coast. Unlike most Belgian beers, Brother Thelonious is subtle. Not subtle as a euphemism for not having any flavor, but subtle as in not drowning the drinker in a sea of coriander and orange peel and "spice." At first I taste mild cloves, which then fade into a sort of rasiny flavor. The raisins linger while a molasses and anise chord are struck. The finish tastes of peculiar rotten fruit; maybe the result of the beefy 9.4% ABV. I can't say that I'd dish out the big bucks to enjoy Brother Thelonious, but it is a great gift treat. The gift-giver can feel good about himself, too; part of the proceeds from each bottle of this abbey ale go to the Thelonious Monk Institute of Jazz.

No comments:

Post a Comment