Saturday, August 14, 2010

New Belgium - Skinny Dip

Seasonal brews are a pretty hit or miss affair for me. I tend to love summer seasonals but I can't think of a single winter brew that's ever done it for me (no, I don't need hints of cranberry or cardamom in my beer). New Belgium's Skinny Dip fits well into this trend, because I think it's fucking awesome. It's light without being too watery, citrusy, or hoppy. It has a pleasantly fresh aftertaste that makes one want to drink more. Apparently its 'low calorie' too, at least by independent brewery standards.

As you can see from the picture, I paired this beer with a medium (accidentally overcooked it) porterhouse steak and sauteed spinach. The brewmaster probably had a lighter food pairing in mind, but I actually thought this one worked out well--the crisp finish on the beer did a terrific job of cleansing my mouth of the salty/fatty taste from the steak with each bite. Skinny Dip is also affiliated with an environmental campaign to clean the Colorado River. I saw this very literal advertisement promoting the beer & the campaign in last month's Utne Reader. Nice butts!

No comments:

Post a Comment