Sunday, August 29, 2010

Rogue John John Ale


I don't drink a lot of hard liquor. Not only do I not really enjoy the taste of most liquor I've tried, I also can't gauge my level of intoxication very well when I down rum or whiskey. This has led to several rather embarrassing episodes in my recent past that have convinced me to avoid booze under most circumstances.

However, I am a sucker for beers that are aged in old liquor barrels. That's why I eagerly accepted a friend's advice to try a pint of Rogue's John John Ale. Here's the commercial description of the brew:

"In a collaboration of crafts, Rogue Brewmaster John Maier and Rogue Spirits Master Distiller John Couchot have joined forces to create a distinct, innovative series of brews called John John Ales. The series will take Rogue Ales legends and age them in Rogue Spirits barrels. A 3,100 gallon batch of John John Ale produces 1357 cases of beer. The first of the John John series is John John Dead Guy Ale, Rogue’s award winning Dead Guy Ale matured in Rogue’s award winning Dead Guy Whiskey barrels.
Deep honey in color with a malt aroma, a caramel, vanilla and oak finish."

The first time I tried the John John Dead Guy Ale was on tap at the Grad in Davis, CA. The brew was kind of watery, but had a deliciously caramel-sweet bourbon pop. The bottled bomber version is similar, but the bourbon edge is slightly more subtle. Thankfully for me, the Rogue Ale is less potent than the spirit that lends it its dominant taste. At 6.5% alcohol and $6.10 for a 22 ounce bottle, Rogue's John John Dead Guy is a unique brew that is worth a try and won't make you puke on your friend's shoes while waiting for the subway train home in which you inappropriately make advances on the girl you are interested in like actual whiskey would.

No comments:

Post a Comment